Sunday 21 March 2010

Spirituality - Polytych

Spirituality - Polytych
A Polytych is an image that is made up of four, or more images, making one single image.

At first I thought of doing a project surrounding the idea of praying, how different religions do it and what it means to each religion. I decided not to go with my idea of photographing a range of different people praying, due to the fact that I was not able to engage with idea. I realised that this was not what I truly wanted for my project, and I felt that my idea to explore Spirituality around objects that remind me of my Grandmother would make more of an impact than simply photographing people praying.

I took a series of images in my Grandads house, which is filled with momentums and objects that strongly remind me of my Grandmother.

Isabella "Bella"

My Grandmother died around 6 - 7 years ago, around 2004, and ever since I have missed her terribly. Each time that I visit the house I say hello to her, as her ashes are in a glass fronted cupboard.


Below is the first draft of my Polytych:



While I was discussing my work with my tutor, we decided that the least strong of my polytych was the image that I placed in the top right hand corner; this photograph contains two photo frames and a small statue of an elderly man. We then decided to replace this image with another that included a side board, a glass bowl, some red flowers and two small statues of a woman and a man. This image fits in with the chosen photographs for my polytych more than the previous image I had chosen, due to the fact that it replicates the image in the opposite corner, which is at the bottom left hand side of
the polytych.

Below is the final version of my Polytych:


I miss my Nan very much, she was a very lovely, friendly person.

I still do and always will love you Nan! =)

1 comment:

  1. I love this Sarah and can completely relate to it. I live with my Nan and she means so much to me. I remember Miss O'Shea saying once in English: "...you will soon be understanding your families values or indeed creating your own values, you too may find yourself appreciating and spending more time with Grandparents rather than your parents..." This was exactly what was going on with me at the time. I think this is a brilliant project SS. KD xx

    ReplyDelete