Friday 26 November 2010

Litherland / Bootle Project

In the second year of my photograph course, I chose to continue studying documentary photography, and progress onto John Aitkens Photography and the City module. I had enjoyed the first years documentary module, and therefore was keen to find out what the content of the next module would be. One of the genres of photography that we covered was street photography, the everyday was also taught.
I decided to undertake, for my open brief assignment, a project surround Litherland and Bootle, two suburbs of Liverpool. I chose to explore Litherland as it is my home town, and since coming to University I have discovered that very few people actually know where it is, let alone anything about the area. I also involved Bootle in this project as each time I am asked where I am from, I find myself replying with the same answer, 'Litherland, it is next to Bootle'. I want to promote the area as I have live there all of my life, and I know very little of the history; therefore I wanted to portray Bootle in the project too.

During my search for information and images of Litherland, I was able to find two websites that host an archival type collection of images from around the suburb. Having emailed the creators of the websites, I gained permission to use these images in my project. With these images I went to the places that were depicted in the photographs, I photographed these places and intended to replicate the originals as possible. I also wanted to couple these two sets of images with memories and stories from those who live in the two suburbs, I was able to do this due to the fact that I am from Litherland and happen to know a number of people from both places, who were nice enough to furnish me with what I had requested of them.

Having collected all of this information I decided that the best way in which to display it all, was to produce a book. I used the website http://www.blurb.com/ to make and publish this book.


Below are photographs of this book, I was very happy with the layout, and quality of this book.




This foreword reads:

"Litherland and Bootle are northern suburbs of Liverpool, having lived in Litherland and around Bootle all my life, I have seen many changes in the area.
Now, after moing away to University when I go home I see even bigger changes. I have decided to document these alternations to my familiar landscapes.

This book is a photographic journey, as well as a psycho-geographic study of how people behave in their own 'spaces' or 'places'.
Coupled with each pairing of photographs is a memory or story that a friend or family member has offered to be part of this project, to show the importance of the area to them."


No comments:

Post a Comment